Saturday, July 17, 2010

The History of Neurofeedback

I had never heard of neurofeedback until about 2002, when I was looking for help with life long sleep problems that had gotten worse as I got older. After trying all sorts of things - medications, relaxation training, supplements, CDs for sleep - a colleague recommended neurofeedback, and I found a provider in New York. Pretty quickly my sleep improved, and not long after that I decided to add NeurOptimal™ to my psychotherapy practice.

The fact that I hadn't heard of neurofeedback doesn't mean it hadn't been around. Neurofeedback actually goes back to the 1960s and has a really interesting history including experiments involving space flight.

Prior to the invention of the Pentium chip for computers, neurofeedback could only be done in hospital or university settings having what were then called super computers. (Now the laptop I'm typing this post on has more than enough power.) This means that you can come for neurofeedback to small clinics and to private offices like mine.

If you'd like to read more about neurofeedback's history, I recommend A Symphony in the Brain by Jim Robbins. Jim makes science understandable and entertaining for non-scientists. His book will give you an good idea of the many ways neurofeedback can be helpful.

A Symphony in the Brain: The Evolution of the New Brain Wave Biofeedback

The book stops short of NeurOptimal™ but it's still a good place to start. (You can read more about the differences between other forms of neurofeedback and NeurOptimal™ on this page of my website.)  NeurOptimal™ is state of the art, effective, and virtually side effect free. I find it very exciting and rewarding using this cutting edge technology with my clients and watching the changes that take place for them.

If you'd like to ask how neurofeedback could specifically help you, please comment here or email me.  Or if you'd like to ask for a referral to a trainer in your area, I very likely may know someone.

Catherine Boyer, MA, LCSW
New York Neurofeedback

3 comments:

  1. I found a collection of book on the google about ADHD and neurofeedback. The collection is very nice and well informed. The above mentioned book is also on that resource and so many articles are also there. If you are interested more, i suggest you- http://www.sandiegoneurofeedback.com/Other_Services.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and the link. Attentional problems are among the conditions that have been most studied using neurofeedback. I've seen very satisfying results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am very happy to listen you.
    It is a pleasure to help someone.

    ReplyDelete