Monday, September 27, 2010

How Long Does Neurofeedback Take?

I've posted about this before, but it's worth talking about again. Understandably, it's a question new clients are very interested in.

In the old days (which in neurofeedback might be only two or three years ago), there was a commonly held guideline that 20 sessions were needed for integration of change. The neuroeedback system I use, NeurOptimal® has evolved to the point where I'm not so sure that 20 session rule of thumb still holds.

The least sessions I've seen a client need to get the change they want (and have it hold when I've checked back six months or a year later) is eight or nine. That's been when someone came in with something of fairly recent vintage (for example, mood problems that started with onset of menopause a year or two prior).

When a client comes in with a lot of things they'd like to see change and those things have been around for many years, I expect it to take more sessions than eight or nine to get good benefits and have them stick.  But if there's one thing I've learned from being a neurofeedback trainer, is that every time I think I know what to expect, I'm likely to be surprised, almost always pleasantly. Every brain is unique.

Many people experience change after just the first (briefer than usual) training. Almost everyone does by the fourth or fifth session. If not, we start figuring out why not.

Some people keep coming after they've checked the important stuff off their list because they want to see what else might happen.

Please post comments or questions here on the blog. You're also welcome to email me.

For information about the kinds of things neurofeedback can help with click the New York Neurofeedback link below to go to my website's home page or visit Client Comments to see what others have said about the changes brought about by neurofeedback.

Catherine Boyer, MA, LCSW
New York Neurofeedback

3 comments:

  1. Such a well written post.. Thnx for sharing this post!.Keep up the good works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There should be more articles like this one on the web. Very well written, lots of useful information. Greetings and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It's great to hear the blog is helpful.

    ReplyDelete