Monday, October 24, 2011

How Many Sessions of Neurofeedback?

One of the first posts I made to this blog was in answer to that question. It's often one of the first things a prospective client asks. Understandably - the process is taking time and money and most of us don't have an unlimited supply of either.

I decided to write this update because there have been some important changes to NeurOptimal® - that's the system I use - since that early post.

A little more than a year ago, we had a major upgrade from Zengar, the makers of NeurOptimal®, which allowed us to provide more feedback per session, more precise feedback, and feedback adjustments that happen in real time more quickly than a trainer can manually make a change. (For more on this, see How Does Neurofeedback Work?)

Since then I've seen changes happening for my clients both more quickly and more profoundly. Things I had found to be stubborn in the past are now changing.

One thing that hasn't changed: Every brain is unique, so that makes any attempt at predicting a more precise number of sessions needed just that, an attempt. Most people come for around 15 or 20  sessions, but I have had people get what they came for, and had it be lasting change, in as few as nine or ten.

And some people keep coming past the point where they got what they initially came for because they want to find out what's going to transform next. Some do their neurofeedback in "chunks," coming back when they're ready for more change.

Questions are welcome - please post here or email me.

Catherine Boyer, MA, LCSW
New York Neurofeedback

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with this article! Brain State Technologies (http://www.brainstatetech.com) has helped over 35,000 people with an 85% success rate.

    ReplyDelete