Monday, November 28, 2011

Chemo Brain Helped by Neurofeedback

Colleagues Jean Alvarez, David Granoff, and Allan Lundy are presenting this month at the annual conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology. They will be talking about their just completed research into use of neurofeedback for the cognitive impairment, emotional distress and sleep disturbances that often follow chemotherapy - and which, in a significant portion of patients, do not go away.

I've seen neurofeedback help my clients with these problems, which are common enough to have developed less than affectionate nicknames, like Chemo Brain. Chemo Fog is another.

The full study is not available yet but you can read the abstract (an abstract is a summary of the research). I'll be hearing more of the details at a conference in February.

It's certainly rewarding to be part of this work. If you have these symptoms yourself and would like to pursue neurofeedback, you're welcome to email me, and I'll tell you if I know someone in your area or point you at provider lists.

Catherine Boyer, MA, LCSW
New York Neurofeedback

No comments:

Post a Comment