Monday, June 18, 2012

Neurofeedback and Sleep


WebMD has put out a concise, useful slide show on sleep disorders.

About two thirds of the way through, biofeedback is mentioned as a possible treatment. The Free Medical Dictionary defines biofeedback as:
...a patient-guided treatment that teaches an individual to control muscle tension, pain, body temperature, brain waves, and other bodily functions and processes through relaxation, visualization, and other cognitive control techniques. The name biofeedback refers to the biological signals that are fed back, or returned, to the patient in order for the patient to develop techniques of manipulating them.
Neurofeedback (the brain wave biofeedback referred to in the definition) works directly with the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord), rather than working with the peripheral nervous system in the hopes of affecting the CNS. The neurofeedback I use with my clients is not about cognitive control techniques, however. It works in a much deeper and more profound way.

Frequently, one of the first places my NeurOptimal® clients notice change is in improvements to sleep. Clients report things like:
  • I'm sleeping through the night now.
  • My sleep feels deeper.
  • I wake up but I go right back to sleep.
  • My dreams are pleasant instead of anxious.
  • I'm waking up feeling ready for the day.
If you have questions about neurofeedback and sleep or other things you'd like to see change, please post a comment here. You're also welcome to email me confidentially.

Catherine Boyer, MA, LCSW
New York Neurofeedback

No comments:

Post a Comment