Monday, February 4, 2013

Is There an Epidemic of Antipsychotic Use with Children?


This article from my favorite professional journal, Psychotherapy Networker, is about the stunning amount of off label use with children and adolescents of powerful, side effect prone anti-psychotics.

The article is titled The Anti-Psychotic Epidemic. It's short, so I'll let it speak for itself except for one fact: These medications, according to data from a large national survey published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, are prescribed by psychiatrists to about one third of the children they see.


An option to medication could be neurofeedback. If I were a parent of a troubled child, I'd want to consider it, possibly along with psychotherapy.

I'm not generating business for myself with this post - I don't work with children, just adults age 18 and up. However, if you have a child or teen and you'd like to look at these options instead of or in addition to medication, you're welcome to email me. I'll do my best to help you find someone good to work with your child.

Catherine Boyer, MA, LCSW
New York Neurofeedback

No comments:

Post a Comment